Thursday, June 10, 2010

Full Circle

Well, I can't say it was one of my favourite episodes so far, but it wasn't bad. Interesting, at least, in some ways. The E-Space stuff is cool, of course. I feel like the planet with negative coordinates of Gallifrey should have been a bit more special, though. Although there was a familiar sense of overwhelming bureaucracy and ceremony that the Doctor so hated about Gallifrey. The bit where he's standing in front of the Deciders, furious at the deception of their people and the careless disregard for life, he seemed to upset about it it almost was as if it had hit a nerve. The amount of procrastination and laissez faire style shown by the Deciders really bothered the Doctor, as someone who continually shows a profound interest in respecting all forms of life. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Adric! I don't care what anyone says, I like him. I think he's sweet and cute and pleasantly independent. He knows the Doctor knows exactly what he's doing, but in the absence of instructions he can come up with something clever to do all on his own. And he's smart. I'm not sure how old he's supposed to be, though. Sometimes he's like a precocious twelve-year-old, but he looks at least 16. But I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be the youngest companion the Doctor ever had, and Ace was only 16, so he's probably younger than that.

And this was an episode in the full swing of "let's break K-9 as much as possible so John Leeson can go home early", so there wasn't much of him. Which I think is a shame. I didn't like him at first, but he grew on me. I think he's cute, I think it's cool when he's a little bit feisty, and I like it when the Doctor and Romana treat him like their pet. "'What is it'? It's my dog!" Cute.

Other than that, there really isn't that much to say about this episode. They get trapped in E-Space, they meet Adric, Romana is part marsh-creature for a while, and the Doctor gets mad at some stuffy old guys.

Favourite quotes:
"What is this, Noah's Ark? Where's Romana?!"
"How can you compare us to those things?" "Yes, I see what you mean. I suppose they are adaptive and intelligent."

No comments:

Post a Comment